The Public Education Employees' Health Insurance Plan, or PEEHIP for short, was established in 1983 to provide quality healthcare insurance benefits for the health and well-being of our members.
- COBRA Information
- Notice to Enrollees in a Self-Funded Non-Federal Governmental Group Health Plan
- HIPAA/PEEHIP Privacy Statement (scroll down to view this policy)
Member Online Services (MOS)
The MOS login is located at the top of every page. Visit MOS to:
- Enroll online for New Members
- Make changes during Open Enrollment
- View Current Coverages
- Make a Qualifying Life Event (QLE) change to add a dependent or report a divorce
- Change your address
- PEEHIP's Wellness Program
- Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Alabama administers the Hospital Medical and Supplemental Medical Plans for PEEHIP's active employees and retirees who are not yet Medicare-eligible.
- HealthEquity administers the Flexible Spending Accounts for PEEHIP's active employees.
- Express Scripts (ESI) administers the Core Pharmacy and Specialty Pharmacy Programs for PEEHIP’s active+ employees and retirees who are not yet Medicare-eligible. If you would like to go to a link without logging in to Express Scripts to see a benefits overview, a drug pricing tool for 30 and 90 day scripts, and a pharmacy locator, please click on ESI’s Open Enrollment link.
- VIVA Health administers an optional Hospital Medical Plan for PEEHIP's active employees and retirees who are not yet Medicare-eligible.
- Humana administers the Medicare Advantage (PPO) Plan for PEEHIP's retirees who are Medicare-eligible - effective 1/1/2020
- Southland Benefit Solutions administers the Cancer, Dental, Indemnity, and Vision Optional Plans.
- PEEHIP Vimeo Showcase
Why did I receive a bill for my PEEHIP insurance premium? Isn’t it payroll deducted?
PEEHIP premiums are deducted from your active paycheck or retirement check the month prior FOR coverage the next month.
If you are a new hire, you will receive a bill for the first month’s premium.
Depending on remaining active allocations, deductions through your school system and the timing of the internal billing process, RETIREES may receive a bill for the first month of retired premiums.
As a retiree, if your PEEHIP premium is larger than your monthly retirement benefit, you will receive a direct bill each month for the “current months” premiums. No partial deductions can be made for premiums.
Is Open Enrollment the only time you can add or remove someone from your PEEHIP insurance?
There are certain qualifying life events (QLE) that can occur outside of the set annual Open Enrollment period that might require changes to your MEDICAL coverage. Examples of QLEs to add a person would be the birth or adoption of a child, marriage, loss of a dependent’s employer coverage for certain reasons. Examples of QLEs to remove someone from your Medical coverage outside of Open Enrollment include death of a dependent, divorce, a dependent’s employment with a group health plan. YOU MUST NOTIFY PEEHIP WITHIN 45 DAYS OF THE QLE! The change can be made with the New Enrollment and Status Change form or (for certain types of QLES) the change can be made online through Member Online Services (MOS).
Can I add any of the Optional PEEHIP coverages such as Dental or Vision due to a Qualifying Life event?
No, you cannot add or remove any of the Optional coverages outside of Open Enrollment. QLEs only apply to the MEDICAL COVERAGE.
Why couldn’t I get a prescription filled today? I know I have coverage.
Your PEEHIP account may be on “claim hold.” PEEHIP accounts are placed in “claim hold” status when a premium is past due or when certain required documents have not been received after several request.
I need to change my address, phone number, and email address. How do I notify PEEHIP? Can I give this information over the phone?
PEEHIP is not allowed to change your address over the phone due to privacy laws. You can easily change your address, phone number, or email address online through Member Online Services. Or you can complete and mail to PEEHIP an Address Change Notification. Either of these processes will correct your address on all insurance and Retirement Systems accounts that you may have.
I recently married and I need to notify PEEHIP that my name has changed. What do I do?
Submit a copy of your corrected Social Security card showing your new name to PEEHIP. You must also contact the insurance clerk or payroll officer at your employer so that they can change your name on your Retirement Contribution Report. Once your name is changed in PEEHIP's system, the insurance carriers will issue new insurance cards with your new name. Name changes cannot be made online through the Member Online Services.
How do I add a Newborn, Adopted Child, or New Spouse to my PEEHIP Coverage?
You can add your new baby, adopted child, or new spouse as a dependent on your insurance coverage but it must be done within 45 days of the applicable Qualifying Life Event (QLE), unless the change is made during PEEHIP's Open Enrollment for an October 1 effective date. There are two options to add your new dependent:
- You can use Member Online Services to easily add your dependent to your PEEHIP coverage. Go to Member Online Services. Once you log in, click the "Enroll or Change PEEHIP Coverage" link, then select the Qualifying Life Event (QLE) option.
- Or you can complete the New Enrollment and Status Change form and mail it to PEEHIP.
What is a PEEHIP Flex Spending Account?
It is a special tax savings account that allows active employees to set aside a portion of their earnings to pay for eligible medical and/or dependent daycare expenses through payroll deduction on a pre-tax basis. There are no service charges or user fees and best of all you don't pay taxes on the money set aside for a Flex Spending Account. PEEHIP offers two flexible spending accounts: the Healthcare FSA and the Dependent Care FSA.
How do I register to use the online system?
It's easy! Go to Member Online Services. Click the "Need to register?" link and follow the onscreen prompts to create your own User ID and Password. You will need your PID number to register your account. You will use your User ID and Password each time you log into the online system.
How do I retrieve my PID number?
You can request to have your PID mailed to you by clicking here. Once you receive your PID letter, you can revisit Member Online Services to register your account.
Can I enroll online in new coverage or make changes to my existing coverage during the Open Enrollment period?
Yes, you can enroll or make changes to your coverage online during the entire Open Enrollment period of July 1 through midnight of September 10.
What optional coverage plans are offered by PEEHIP?
PEEHIP offers the Cancer, Dental, Hospital Indemnity, and Vision plans. Claims administration is provided through Southland Benefit Solutions. Once enrolled, these plans must be retained for the entire insurance year, i.e. until September 30.