The PEEHIP Wellness Program is designed to encourage members and their covered spouses to take charge of their health starting with a basic wellness screening.
Through a wellness screening, members can learn their basic biometric numbers that help determine if they are at risk for conditions that may cause serious health problems later. Early detection may be the key to eliminating or reducing the risk of developing hypertension, pre-diabetes, diabetes, heart disease, and obesity.
The PEEHIP Wellness Program can also help members take steps in managing these conditions and their overall health through our voluntary health coaching and tobacco cessation programs. Participation in the PEEHIP Wellness Program is free and may help save money on premium cost.
Wellness Premium Waiver
Members and covered spouses enrolled in the PEEHIP Hospital Medical Group #14000 Plan (BCBS) can earn a waiver of the wellness premium by completing a wellness screening between August 1, 2023 and August 31, 2024. No additional activities are required to earn the waiver. Make an appointment to get a free wellness screening through the Alabama Department of Public Health (ADPH), a participating network pharmacy, or a primary healthcare provider. For wellness screenings performed by a primary healthcare provider, screening data must be submitted to the ADPH on a completed Healthcare Provider Screening Form by August 31, 2024 to receive the wellness premium waiver effective October 1, 2024.
- If you are unable to obtain a wellness screening due to pregnancy, disability, or other infirmity, you may be entitled to a reasonable accommodation or an alternative standard to receive the wellness premium waiver. Contact PEEHIP at 877.517.0020 for additional details.
- Notice Regarding Wellness Program
- Healthcare Provider Screening Form - take to your doctor
- ADPH screening and flu shot calendar
- Pharmacy Screening Networks
- Pharmacy Biometric Screening Form - take to your pharmacy
For more detailed information, please see the most current member handbook on our Publications page.
Who is required to participate in the Wellness Program?
The following members enrolled in the PEEHIP Hospital Medical Plan Group #14000 administered by Blue Cross Blue Shield are required to complete the applicable wellness activities by August 31 of each year in order to earn a waiver of the monthly wellness premium:
- Members currently employed by a PEEHIP participating system and their covered spouse, regardless of Medicare eligibility
- Spouses using the coverage as secondary plan
- A retired member who is not Medicare-eligible
- A non-Medicare eligible spouse covered on a retiree contract
- Members on COBRA, leave of absence, and surviving spouses who are non-Medicare-eligible
Who is NOT required to participate in the wellness program?
The following members are NOT required to participate:
- Dependent children
- Any member who is not covered by the PEEHIP Hospital Medical Group #14000 Plan
- Medicare-eligible retirees and Medicare-eligible covered spouses of retirees
What is the Wellness Premium Waiver?
The 2023 plan year begins October 1, 2022.
Members and covered spouses enrolled in the PEEHIP Hospital Medical Plan Group #14000 (BCBS) can earn a waiver of the wellness premium by completing a wellness screening between August 1, 2022, and August 31, 2023. No additional activities are required to earn the waiver. The waiver will be applied to your account effective October 1, 2023.
A wellness premium is applied separately to members and spouses enrolled in the PEEHIP Hospital Medical Plan Group #14000. The current amount of the wellness premium can be located by clicking on the Premium tab.
How can I earn the Wellness Premium Waiver?
For members required to participate in the wellness program, the Wellness Premium Waiver can be earned by completing a wellness screening.
To receive credit for a wellness screening performed by a doctor or a healthcare provider, a Healthcare Provider Screening Form must be completed and submitted directly to the ADPH Wellness Program for processing. No additional steps are required for a wellness screening performed by an ADPH nurse at an onsite wellness event or at a participating pharmacy.
Participation in health coaching is not required to earn the wellness premium waiver.
What data is collected at a wellness screening?
Wellness screenings collect the following data:
- Blood pressure
- Height, weight, and body mass index (BMI)
- Total cholesterol (HDL and LDL)
- Blood glucose
- Tobacco usage
PEEHIP members and covered spouses are eligible to receive one free annual wellness screening each year from the Alabama Department of Public Health (ADPH) or a participating pharmacy.
If a member prefers for their primary care physician to perform their wellness screening, they will need to have their physician complete a Healthcare Provider Screening Form and submit it to ADPH.
What are the required wellness activities?
If you are required to participate, you must complete a wellness screening by August 31 each year. Participation in health coaching is not required.
If you are unable to obtain a wellness screening due to pregnancy, disability, or other infirmity, you may be entitled to a reasonable accommodation or an alternative standard to receive the wellness premium waiver. Contact PEEHIP at 877.517.0020 for additional details.
What is the deadline to complete my required activities?
Members who are required to participate in the Wellness Program, must complete a wellness screening by August 31 each year.
Screening data must be submitted on a completed Healthcare Provider Screening Form to the Alabama Department of Public Health (ADPH) or a Pharmacy Biometric Screening Form through a participating pharmacy by the August 31 deadline to earn a waiver of the wellness premium for the upcoming plan year that begins October 1.
I missed the deadline, can I still earn the Wellness Premium Waiver?
Yes. Members who submit their completed screening information to the Alabama Department of Public Health (ADPH) or complete a screening through the Pharmacy Screening Network (PSN) after the deadline, are eligible for a prospective waiver of the wellness premium.
The wellness premium waiver will be applied beginning the first day of the second month after PEEHIP receives a completion status from the ADPH or PSN.
How do I track the completion status of my required wellness activities?
The status toward earning the wellness premium waiver will be available on your Member Online Service account. Members can log in to their account and view their Wellness Completion Status under PEEHIP Services.
What services are offered as part of the wellness program?
The PEEHIP Wellness Program offers the following free services for its members and covered spouses:
- Onsite Wellness Screenings by ADPH nurses
- Wellness Screenings by an in-network participating pharmacy
- Healthcare Provider Screenings by your primary care physician
- Video-based weight management coaching from Wondr Health
- Personal Health Advisors from Pack Health
- Disease Management coaching from Blue Cross Blue Shield of Alabama
- Gaps in Care alerts to be discussed with your healthcare provider
Where Can I Get A Wellness Screening?
- The Alabama Department of Public Health (ADPH). Make an appointment to get your free annual wellness screening through the ADPH. Some school systems offer on-site wellness screenings during various times of the school year. Please check with your HR department or click the ADPH calendar under Quick Links.
- Primary Care Provider. Complete a screening through your primary care physician. The screening data must be submitted on a completed Healthcare Provider Screening Form and faxed or mailed to the Alabama Department of Public Health (ADPH).
- Participating Pharmacy. Complete a free annual wellness screening at one of the in-network BCBS Pharmacy Biometric Screening Program providers. For a list of participating pharmacies in your area click on the Quick Links or log in to your BCBS account.
I Completed A Wellness Screening, Why Was I Charged A Wellness Premium?
This usually means we have not received notification from the ADPH Wellness Program or a participating pharmacy that a screening has been completed. Please call our office at 877-517-0020 for help in resolving the issue. Please be prepared to provide the date and place your wellness screening was performed.