Important information you need to know:
Humana has announced a series of steps aimed at protecting our members and reducing the spread of the new coronavirus disease, or COVID-19. Please view the Expanded Coverage and Benefits for up-to-date information.
Safety Kits and masks are being mailed by Humana on a staggered basis, which began the week of May 18 and will end the last week of July.
Important information you need to know about Medicare:
If you and/ or your dependent(s) are Medicare-eligible due to disability or age, you and/or your dependent(s) are required to be enrolled in both Medicare Part A and Part B effective the date you become Medicare eligible or effective your date of retirement if you are Medicare-eligible at your date of retirement.
If you are only enrolled in Part A, please contact the Social Security Office at 800.772.1213 and sign up for Medicare Part B as soon as possible. Medicare enrollment is not always automatic.
Note: It is important to know that Medicare-eligible retired members and covered Medicare-eligible dependents must be enrolled in both Part A AND Part B of Medicare to have coverage with the Humana Group Medicare Advantage (PPO) plan offered by PEEHIP. If you do not have both Part A and Part B, you will not have hospital medical or prescription drug coverage with PEEHIP.
- PEEHIP Humana Group Medicare Advantage (PPO) Plan Information
- Medicare Eligibility Calculator
- Humana Neighborhood Center - Webinars for August 2020
- SilverSneakers Live Classes:
- SilverSneakers Virtual Programming Schedule July 27 - August 7
- SilverSneakers On-Demand Flyer
- Members can now participate in SilverSneakers Live classes through the member portal! SilverSneakers has multiple classes scheduled throughout the week, and members can choose from a variety of options. They will be offering everything from Strength & Balance, to Yoga, to BOOM MIND, and more. Workshops will also be available for members where they’ll be able to participate in group educational events. Be advised that unlike the Facebook Live classes, a SilverSneakers membership is required to participate in these SilverSneakers Live online classes and workshops.
- When members log in to their SilverSneakers.com account, they will see a banner at the top of the page highlighting the SilverSneakers Live classes. Members can view the current SilverSneakers Live exercise classes and educational workshops that are scheduled. Those members who already have a SilverSneakers account will receive an email introducing these classes to them.
- PEEHIP Humana website
- Humana Informational Kit
- Virtual Visits - Telemedicine for PEEHIP's Humana members (or call 888.673.1992)
I am a retired member and will turn 65 this year. What do I need to do to continue coverage with PEEHIP and be enrolled in the Humana Medicare Advantage Program?
You must have Medicare Part A and Part B effective the first day of the month of your 65th birthday. Exception: If your date of birth is the first day of the month, you must have Medicare Part A and Part B effective the first day of the month prior to your 65th birthday.
You must pay a premium for Medicare Part B. The premium will be deducted from your Social Security check. If you are not drawing Social Security benefits you will need to work directly with the Social Security Administration regarding payment arrangements.
If you are enrolled in the PEEHIP Hospital Medical Plan before becoming Medicare-eligible, PEEHIP will automatically change your coverage to the PEEHIP Humana Group Medicare Advantage (PPO) plan if you're enrolled in Medicare Part A and B. Your PEEHIP premium will be reduced accordingly. This plan is available to Medicare-eligible retirees and Medicare-eligible dependents of retirees. This coverage does include Part C and D benefits.
Do I need to enroll in a separate Medicare Part D plan to have prescription drug coverage?
No. If you are enrolled and covered by PEEHIP, your prescription drug benefits are provided as a component of your PEEHIP Humana Group Medicare Advantage (PPO) plan.
If I enroll in a separate Medicare Part D plan, will I still have prescription drug coverage under PEEHIP?
No. If you enroll in a separate Medicare Part D plan outside of PEEHIP you will lose your entire PEEHIP hospital medical and prescription drug coverage through the PEEHIP Humana plan. You will not be able to get this coverage back until you drop the standard Medicare Part D coverage and re-enroll during Open Enrollment. Keep in mind that you are not able to take advantage of coverage under both the PEEHIP Humana prescription drug program and through a standard Medicare Part D plan.
Who is eligible for the PEEHIP Supplemental Medical Plan Coverage?
Only active and non-Medicare-eligible retired members and dependents are eligible for the PEEHIP Supplemental Medical Plan coverage. The PEEHIP Supplemental Medical Plan will provide secondary benefits to the member’s primary group plan provided by another employer.
What is the premium for the Supplemental Plan?
For members who qualify to enroll in the supplemental medical coverage, there is no monthly premium for this plan.
What is the Premium Assistance Application (PAA) discount?
PEEHIP provides premium assistance to qualifying members based on a household income level predefined by the Federal Government. A PEEHIP member who has a combined household income of 300% or less of that level may qualify for a reduced premium on his or her hospital medical premium. The discount can reduce the member's premium contribution by 10, 20, 30, 40 or 50% depending on the member's household income and family size.
What is the 2012 PEEHIP sliding scale law?
The Alabama Legislature signed into law Act # 2011-704 that establishes changes in the Public Education Employees’ Health Insurance Plan (PEEHIP) retiree sliding scale premium calculation. How the law impacts you has a lot to do with your years of service in the public education system, your retirement date and your age at the time of retirement.