Active Members

TRS Tier 1 Active Members: Any member of the TRS who had service credit with the ERS or TRS prior to January 1, 2013.

TRS Tier 2 Active Members: Any member of the TRS who had no service credit with the ERS or TRS prior to January 1, 2013.

Partial Lump Sum Option Plan - Effective for those retiring on or after October 1, 2019.

For more information about your TRS retirement benefits, consult your member handbook.

Frequently Asked Questions

Where can I view my TRS account statement?

You may view your account statement online at Member Services Online. Your account statement will no longer be mailed. The Statement of Account verifies current year contributions and accumulated interest. The total service credit, interest, service purchases, previously taxed contributions, non-taxed contributions, and balance are also provided. The member’s designated beneficiary and mailing address as of June 30 are listed.

When am I eligible to retire?

Tier 1 member: You are eligible to retire at any age with 25 or more years of service or at age 60 with 10 or more years of service.

Tier 2 member: You are eligible to retire at age 62 (age 56 for State Police and certified, full-time firefighter and law enforcement officer) with 10 or more years of service.

Can I borrow money from my TRS account?

No. The only way to get money out of a TRS account is to terminate employment and withdraw the entire account.

Can I make a hardship withdrawal?

You cannot borrow against your retirement. You can only withdraw your account if you are no longer employed with a member agency. If you do withdraw your account, you forfeit your lifetime retirement benefits and your years and months of service.

When will I receive my refund (withdrawal)?

The time to process a refund varies depending on the receipt of your Notice of Final Deposit and Request for Refund, and when we receive your last retirement contribution. It generally takes 2 weeks from the date that TRS receives the last contribution from the employer.

Can I contribute an additional amount to my TRS account monthly?

No, your contribution is mandatory and the percentage is set by Alabama statute (percentage various based on Tier, FLC, etc.). You may wish to enroll in the voluntary RSA-1 Deferred Compensation Plan. This plan is completely separate from your retirement account and is an excellent way to set aside additional retirement funds.

I am the beneficiary of a deceased active member. How do I get the benefits from his/her account?

If the member was still active, the beneficiary should complete the Application for Survivor Benefit form. The form can also be obtained from the member’s payroll office, or the RSA will be glad to mail or email it. Please note that the member’s payroll office has to complete a portion of the form, so the beneficiary may wish to go to the payroll office to get and complete the form.