The ERS asks that all ERS Retirees notify us of any change of address, name change, or a change in beneficiary designation. And, the ERS strongly encourages you to use Direct Deposit for your retirement checks. If you are currently using Direct Deposit and would like to change your address, you may do it online through Member Online Services.
If you plan to return to work with an employer that is a member of the RSA, there are earnings limitations that will affect your retirement benefit.
- Retiree Notice of Postretirement Employment form
- 2019 Postretirement Earnings Allowance
- 2020 Postretirement Earnings Allowance
- 2021 Postretirement Earnings Allowance
- 2022 Postretirement Earnings Allowance
- 2022 Tax Tables
- 2021 Tax Tables
- 2020 Tax Tables
- 2020 Tax Reporting: Retired Members
- 2020 Tax Reporting: Retired Members Receiving DROP Distribution in 2020
Other Retiree Information
- How do I Report a Death of a Retiree? Contact Member Services at 877.517.0020
- Record of Important Documents
- Social Security Retirement Planner: Benefits By Year Of Birth
How do I change the banking information for the direct deposit of my retirement benefit?
You must complete a new Direct Deposit Authorization that includes a certification from your bank. Completed forms must be received BEFORE the 13th of the month in order for the current months benefit to be directed to the new account!
How do I change the federal tax that is withheld from my retirement check?
There are two way to change your federal tax withholding.
You can EITHER:
- Submit a new Withholding Certificate for Pension or Annuity Payments form.
- OR Log-in to the Member Online Services (MOS) portal and navigate to the TAX INFORMATION section and select the option to “Change Withholding.”
Will State Tax be withheld from my retirement check?
No. If the retiree lives in Alabama, there is no state tax on the benefit. However, if he or she lives in another state, be aware that most other states will charge state tax on the Alabama pension. Retirees should contact that state’s revenue department to find out the tax obligations to that state. RSA is unable to withhold any state tax from a retirement check.
How often do retirees get Cost of Living Adjustments (COLAs)?
COLAs require action by the Legislature and the agency from which you are retired.
When will the annual tax statements be mailed?
The 1099-Rs are mailed by the end of January each year.
When will I receive my retirement check?
The retirement checks are deposited on the last business day of each month for members who have direct deposit. Paper checks are mailed to the retiree’s on the last business day of the month. The delivery date will depend on the postal service.
How much can a retiree make if they work for an RSA agency?
$32,000 per year in 2021 and $34,000 per year in 2022. The work must be PART TIME.
I am the beneficiary of a deceased retired member. How do I get the benefits from his/her account?
If the member was already retired, the beneficiary should notify ERS and the appropriate paperwork will be mailed.