Flu Shots are covered under PEEHIP at the following locations:
Alabama Department of Public Health (ADPH)
- PEEHIP Worksite Locations: Flu shots are covered under the PEEHIP Team Up for Health Wellness Program benefit and are administered by the ADPH. ADPH nurses will come on-site to a PEEHIP participating workplace and offer free flu shots over the course of the year to PEEHIP members and dependents age 18 or older, as well as PEEHIP members’ school aged children. Please bring your insurance card to obtain your free flu shot.
- Local County Health Departments: Flu shots are also offered free of charge by appointment at local county health departments. The ADPH also administers flu shots given at local county health departments. This option is available to PEEHIP members and dependents age 18 or older, as well as PEEHIP members’ school aged children. Please bring your insurance card to obtain your free flu shot.
There is no charge for obtaining a flu shot from the ADPH. To obtain your flu shot, bring your PEEHIP insurance card. Information about the dates and locations of the Flu Shot Clinics can be obtained from the Alabama Department of Public Health’s Web site at www.adph.org/worksitewellness/.
- Flu shots given at a doctor’s office without having a doctor’s visit are also covered by PEEHIP. There should not be a copayment if the doctor’s office does not file an office visit CPT code.
- Flu shots administered during a doctor’s office visit are covered by PEEHIP under medical routine benefits. The regular $30 non-specialist physician copayment is applicable if the doctor’s office files an office visit CPT code; for example, you were treated by the physician during an office visit.
- Flu Mist: PEEHIP covered the Flu Mist as of October 1, 2010.
Effective August 1, 2015, flu shots obtained at participating retail pharmacies began being covered for PEEHIP eligible members and dependents enrolled in a PEEHIP health care benefit.
- Retirees who are Medicare eligible members and their covered Medicare eligible dependents must have their flu shot filed under Medicare Part B.
- Medicare Part B covers 100% of the cost of a flu shot once every flu season with no Part B deductible or copayment required.
- Original Medicare will pay for the flu shot no matter where you get it, as long as the doctor or other qualified health care provider accepts assignment for giving the shot.
- If you get your flu shot from a doctor who doesn’t accept assignment, you may have to pay an additional fee for the doctor’s services, but not for the shot itself.
NON-COVERED FLU SHOT OPTIONS
- Although PEEHIP is now allowing participating pharmacies to administer the flu vaccine to PEEHIP covered members at the pharmacy location, PEEHIP does not allow a participating pharmacy to administer the flu vaccine at a PEEHIP worksite location.
- ADPH is currently the only PEEHIP-approved vendor to come on-site to a PEEHIP participating workplace and offer flu shots. Since July of 2011, PEEHIP has not covered any services, including flu vaccinations, when given at the schools or other work sites unless the services are specifically provided under the contract between PEEHIP and the ADPH. This means that flu shots, wellness screenings, or any other healthcare service obtained at your workplace by a vendor other than the ADPH will not be covered by your PEEHIP benefits, and will not be eligible for reimbursement. In order for PEEHIP members to avoid charges for flu shots or other healthcare services, please refrain from obtaining that service at your workplace from any vendor other than the ADPH.